This post may contain affiliate links.
I get asked this question a lot even though I had Blake a year ago, how do you make your pregnancy your own? You know, drown out the opinions, focus on the little things and really make this time special! Quite honestly I think all of these things go hand in hand with Motherhood in general, but during pregnancy is the perfect time to start them! So I’m going to share with you, 6 ways to make your pregnancy (and Motherhood) your own.
- Block the noise out. From the moment you get pregnant there’s going to be a lot of opinions, direction, thoughts and comments from others. You HAVE to learn to block it out, from day one because unfortunately it’s never going to stop. Everyone will have something to say about something you’re doing. Just remember you know what’s best for you and your baby and to do what you feel comfortable with.
- Read the book, What to Expect When You’re Expecting (the 5th edition). It’s full of great knowledge on literally every aspect of your pregnancy. It covers everything from bringing Dad into your pregnancy, traveling while expecting, mental health and all the way to social media/pressures. Seriously it’s the best preparation into Motherhood and honestly prepares you for it all. I still reflect back on things I learned from it.
- Just roll with it. One thing I wish someone had told me, was to just roll with the punches. Things probably won’t go according to plan sometime during your journey in Motherhood. Whether it being during pregnancy or when your child is two, things get messy. Just take a step back–make a new game plan and focus on what’s important to you and for your family. Make this experience your own, but keep light of the hard parts and make lasting memories.
- Spend quality time with your baby and I mean from the moment you find out you’re pregnant. One of my favorite parts about being pregnant was sitting in our little girl’s soon to be nursery, rocking in her rocking chair and feeling her kick. It made me feel special, it helped my pregnancy feel unique to me and prepared me for the most incredible journey, Motherhood.
- This one is short and to the point; focus on you, your baby, both of your health and your family. That’s it. Nothing else matters. Just remember that and live by it.
- Finally, don’t be afraid to do what you really want and to be yourself! If you want a home birth–do it! If you want a hospital birth–do it! It’s your choice, your special time and as long as baby is safe and healthy it doesn’t matter. Brush off the hard stuff, accept the fact that you’ll deal with Mom bullies and don’t let it get you down.
What did you do to make your pregnancy your own and special?!
Learn more about What to Expect When You’re Expecting, here.
PS. I’m NOT pregnant, let me make that clear. 😉
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.