This post is sponsored by Carter’s; however all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Traveling with a toddler can be stressful, actually going anywhere with a toddler can be, let’s just be honest. Well we’ve been doing a lot of both lately and I get asked this question quite a bit, so I’m sharing some tips and tricks for traveling and packing with a toddler! Plus, some cute new clothes that will be in our spring bags errwhere we go. 😉
First, let’s chat about the carry on bag (or if you’re driving, the “big bag” as I like to call it):
This is the bag that has everything that’s going to keep your toddler entertained and well, you sane. Here’s some of our favorite things to keep in this bag:
- ipad // with games, movies, pictures and all the apps. We love YouTube Kids, Daniel Tiger, Minnie Mouse, Elmo and then Endless ABC App, iTot Cards App and we always have random pictures of Elmo on back up because well, my sweet girl just can’t resist a pic of Elmo.
- Diapers + Wipes // and a lot of them, because I can promise you the minute you think you don’t need that many is the minute you need more than “that many”.
- Headphones // I keep headphones for Blake, me and Marcus in this bag, especially when we’re flying somewhere
- An extra outfit, go the Carter’s route and put in a cute one from them!
- Mini pillow // this one is all for Blake, just google a mini pillow though and tons will pop up, they’re pretty inexpensive, this one is our favorite.
- Books, small toys and a boogie board // Mainly the boogie board is our lifesaver, she loves to color so this is basically an endless coloring game.
- Small blanket, extra pacifiers and a lovie // comfort items are key for meltdowns
- Lots of snacks and extra juice // bribery goes a long way in a desperate moment, so have those M&Ms ready and don’t be afraid to use them.
The main suitcase:
The one where you most likely mega overpack, but do your best not to forget everything. Here’s a few tips and tricks to this bag:
- It’s okay to overpack, honestly I would rather have too many clothes than be washing an outfit in the sink because they threw up or whatever. That being said though, you don’t need 10 outfits for a 2 night trip.
- Bring an entire package of diapers and wipes in this bag
- Pack everything you can in this one suitcase, if they sleep with a specific blanket–put it in here, hair stuff, in this bag, lotion, in the bag, etc. The more in this bag, the less you have to carry.
- If you’re only going for a few days, grab a bigger suitcase and combine your little’s items with yours to lighten your load!
Handling the whole travel thing:
You know, without going totally insane.
- Traveling is totally stressful, so here’s the biggest tip I’ve learned, LET GO. You can’t control everything, things will get messed up, your toddler will have a meltdown, just let it go and go with the flow.
- Game plan it: Have a game plan of what you’d like to do everyday on your trip. That doesn’t mean it’s going to go as planned, but it eliminates even more stress during an already stressful moment.
- Map things out, if you’re going somewhere you’ve never been before, map things out beforehand so you have somewhat of an idea where you’re going during that actual moment.
- Delegate. If you’re bringing your husband, Mom, whomever, take turns with things. For example, Marcus always loads and unloads the car, etc. while I am chasing Blake around. Or another one, I always map things out while he is getting in the car and ready to drive. This way we’re ready to rock n’ roll and not getting frustrated with ourselves or each other.
- Let go of the nap schedule. When we’re out of town, naps happen, when they happen, where they happen. I just can’t worry about it. If she falls asleep in the car or her stroller, so be it — at least she’s napping.
- Expect the unexpected. Seriously, just be fine with it, make the best out of it and have fun — you’re on vacation!
Now that we have all the tips and tricks down, can we talk about the cute clothes that will be in our spring travels bags already?! Carter’s has so many cute items this spring, plus they’re comfy and well, I’m smitten. Buy all the things as my motto says. 😉 It’s basically the perfect place to grab everything you need before a trip! They have swimsuits, dresses, beach outfits, light jackets, shoes, you name it — like I said, everything you need in the toddler + baby clothing department. Here’s a few of my favs, that will be in our spring suitcase:
Shop all the above outfits, here.
Plus, grab 25% off with the coupon below! See I got chu boo 😉