This post may contain affiliate links.
So when we booked our trip to Texas – we honestly didn’t think we would make it to Waco. It was a three hour drive and we were just worried about pushing the limits with two kids and you know – life. WELLLL the night before, we decided YES, LET’S JUST DO IT. And besides getting rear-ended on the way back, it was SO worth it, however I did learn some things for our next trip and had lots of y’all ask about everything. So here we are! Obviously we went for you know – Magnolia, Fixer Upper, The Gaines, whatever you want to call it – that whole experience. BUT Waco actually proved to be a cute little town and actually fairly similar to Boise in my opinion, it was relatively big (a lot bigger than I imagined) and they had a lot going on! However, I’ll be honest – this post is going to be focused on Magnolia and all the happs with that. So prepare yourself.
THE MUST KNOWS:
- In my opinion, I wouldn’t bring kids. It was just a little stressful and they were over it about an hour into it. If you want to get the most of your experience – leave the babes at home. They were great and obviously we love them, but my sister and I could have had a lot more time looking and exploring without them.
- Go during a day or week that isn’t a big holiday (like spring break, one of their events or just a high traveling time)
- Book a stay there – make it a couple day trip. Honestly, I think more than 2 days would be a little much, but when we do it again (AND WE WILL), we will stay in Waco and have at least two full days to do things and check it all out.
- Expect for it to be crowded and wait in line. We went during a quiet day (the workers said) and it was still crazy busy, I waited about 20 minutes to check out, then 45 in the shipping line and we waited another 30-45 minutes in line at the bakery. AND THIS WAS ON A SLOW DAY. SOOO expect waits and lines and dress appropriately for it with backpacks, sweaters you can take off, etc.
THE MUST SEES:
- Magnolia Table: We didn’t actually get to eat here because the wait was 3 hours long, BUT it was stunning and it’s on our must do for next time. We got some goodies from their “take away” section and took all the pictures. Definitely check it out and read my tips below if you plan on eating there!
- The Silos: Obviously this one is a must. Do all the shopping, check out the gorgeous garden, get a cupcake and take all the pictures. Literally EVERY detail at the silos is on point. Don’t forget to take a picture at “Miles to Magnolia” sign!
- Silo Baking Co: GUYS, the cupcakes were literally incredible. Like I can still taste them and I want more so badly. I wish I could buy them and have them shipped to me, they’re that good. Buy lots, eat them all (because vacation) and get their cookies too. Basically, it’s all delicious and worth the wait if there’s a long line.
- Magnolia Discount Store (original Magnolia Store): This is actually the original Magnolia store and where they keep discounted items, definitely hit it up! They had lots of cute stuff and I bought even more…even though I spent a fortune at Magnolia because, when in Waco 😉
- Harp Design Co: We didn’t make it to Harp Design Co, but I want to make sure we do next time. I’ve heard it’s incredible and such a fun experience, so put it on your list!
- Dr Pepper Museum: Obviously this isn’t part of the whole “Fixer Upper” trend – BUT, it was so fun and y’all know my love for Dr. Pepper so MAKE IT HAPPEN.
- Plan your day(s) out in advance.
- If you’re going to Magnolia Table, be prepared to get there a few hours (as in 2-3) early and expect a LONG wait. If you want to eat there that day, arrive first thing in the morning. The staff said people start lining up around 5:30AM.
- Dress accordingly, wear comfy shoes, wear a backpack! You’ll be doing a lot of walking and standing around – so keep that in mind when packing 😉
- If you purchase more than $100 worth of stuff, Magnolia will ship for free to you, you just pay for the box. SO keep this in mind and to me it was worth it rather than dealing with carrying all my stuff around!
- HAVE FUN!