This post may contain affiliate links.
Y’all can laugh all you want about this post, but literally this was a serious goal of mine when we started building our house. I wanted a pantry that DREAMS WERE MADE OF. And, welp not to toot my own horn but I am pretty sure I MADE IT HAPPEN. Actually, really I owe all the thanks to Bed Bath and Beyond because welp, all the stuff is from there. BUT, it turned out so great and I love it, now let’s just cross our fingers it stays lookin’ fancy. Now, I thought it would be helpful and fun to break everything down about the pantry, how I did it, what I did to save money, etc. So let’s do this thing.
Before I even started, I got super OCD and I had Marcus help me measure the pantry and make a list. I made a list of REASONABLE ways to store things and what I wanted to store them in. I know that in the past when I have tried to be on top of my organization game in the pantry, I just started putting things in things to make them pretty but it wasn’t actually functional. SO it defeated the purpose and it lasted all of 5 days before it was a mess in there again. Here are my tips for being realistic about the whole thing:
- Ask yourself these questions: “Can I easily access what I am looking for?” “Is it cleanable?” “Can I see everything in each bin, etc.?”
- Buy for functionality, it’s not always the smartest to buy the cheapest.
- Which items do you want in storage containers and will there be items that don’t have a “bin” or “container”? Make a list.
So I started with those things and then took the measurements we had taken and figured out where I wanted everything, how many bins I could fit on a shelf, etc. Then I hit Bed Bath & Beyond and welp, SHOPPED. I love their .ORG line – it’s their own personal organization line and it’s seriously on point and affordable. You can actually find a lot more online, so this is what I did (and would recommend too), go in store first and find what you’re looking for there. Then come home with your list and whatever you didn’t find – jump online and grab them there. For example, I got about 40% in store and 60% online just because there was a lot more to choose from, especially when it came to the white bins pictured.
Now I have some tips for the whole shopping thing:
- Get the Beyond+ – it’s basically like Prime, but for Bed Bath & Beyond and worth every penny, especially on a big project like this. It’s a small fee, but then you get free shipping always and 20% off your total purchase every time. SOO as you can imagine, we saved a fortune and were able to get even more doing this.
- Go in with a list, don’t just shop to shop. Have a game plan, it doesn’t need to be perfect, but have at least an outline for the look you’re going for including, how many containers you need for cereal, pasta, baking, etc.
Now once you have everything you need, it’s time to dive in. I started by laying everything out empty, so all the containers in the spots I wanted them, etc. I hung the rack up on the wall in there for more storage, I put the trash can in there – literally all the things so I could see how it laid. Then I started unboxing food. My big thing with this entire project was to eliminate clutter, boxes and bags that food comes in. It just looks messy and takes up so much more space. SO I put the chips in bins, crackers in wire baskets, etc. Again, making sure I could SEE EVERYTHING, not overstuffing bins, not hiding things – I wanted to make everything easily accessible so that it doesn’t defeat the purpose. Then I put our most used pastas in their containers and the extras in a bin next to it and so on. You’ll have to find the system that works for you, but remember to follow the tips I shared above, it’ll make a huge difference.
Anyways, I linked everything below that is in my pantry. So you can easily shop it, if you have more questions feel free to ask them in the comments and I will be happy to answer them! I am also going to jump on Instagram stories today and really break everything down that way.
SHOP THE ITEMS IN MY PANTRY:
Thanks for all the tips! I cannot wait to organize my panty! You are the best:)
Military lifestyle moving every 3-4yrs!!