This post may contain affiliate links.
Today I’m sharing five things that I love FOR MYSELF. Meaning, no one else uses them except me and it’s my freaking treat. MKAY? 😉 That’s a rarity around here guys. Also some are splurges, so you’ve been warned. However, I think it’s so dang important to remember to care for ourselves. I feel like we are constantly, go, go, going as Moms and taking care of everyone else that we forget to take care of ourselves! So these are five things that I’ve learned to love over the years (some purchases, some not) that just make me a better person, give me the self care I need and keeps my stresses down (well, you know as much as possible 😉 ). Let’s dive in.
- Take Care of YOUR Body. This means you’re 100% allowed to GO OUT AND DO THINGS for yourself and your body. Not only is it important to obviously keep healthy with fitness and diet and well, mental health – but to me, it’s so important for me to feel good about myself. So go get your freaking brows done, your nails, botox, whatever you want and don’t let anyone give you crap otherwise. If these little things help you – then girl, do you. A peek inside what I do as far as this, well one I really try and eat healthy. I just feel better when I do, my skin looks better, everything. HOWEVER, that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a treat here and there, yes I do. I also love to run so I get outside as much as possible. More on the maintenance side – I get botox 2-3 times a year between my eyebrows and a little on my forehead, those are self conscience areas for me and they make me feel better about myself so I do it. I get my hair done on the regular as well and treat myself a few times a year to nails or a massage. Mama has needs too and welp, she deserves to spoil herself. Something I purchased a couple of years ago though was a gel nail kit (that I could do at home) and it was such a good thing for me! I do it usually every two weeks just at home and it’s a fun little way to make myself feel a little more put together. Here’s the gel kit:
- Take Care of YOUR Skin! This is a recent development and love of mine in the last couple of years. It’s weird right? Your skin doesn’t just stay youthful forever? 😉 HA! I LOVE Tula and Olay products and I’ve told y’all all of that before. Tula has cleared my skin up like no other, so I’ll link everything I use of theirs below (also use the code “OAKES20” for 20% off), as well as Olay Regenerist – I use that every morning and it’s game changing.
- Set Comparisons and Judgments aside. This is a huge one and not even for just Moms, but women in general. We have a tendency to one, compare the crap out of ourselves to everyone else, when we don’t even know their story or what’s going on behind their little squares on Instagram. We also have a tendency to judge them. I mean we are all human, but train that dang mind. Ever since letting go of the comparison and honestly just not really caring what people think, how many friends I have and worrying about myself and my family – I have been SO much happier. Surround yourself with REAL, positive people – not ones that talk crap about each other behind one another’s back. Make real connections, let go of the judgement while at the store watching that toddler scream and run around thinking “gosh get your kid under control”. You don’t know what that Mom is going through and honestly, she’s doing her very freaking best. If I had to choose just one of these practices to take home – this would be the one – I’m telling you, you’ll be so much happier, content and just HAPPY with yourself and the life you have!
- Make sleep a priority. For awhile I was literally burning the candles at both end. No joke – I was going, going, going, all day long and just depressed. Remove what you can from your plate, make a schedule and write things down, INCLUDING BEDTIME. Don’t skip your 8 hours of sleep a night, even if they are interrupted because let’s be real – mine are every night. However, it’s the principle of it – in bed by 10, up around 6. Also, don’t be afraid to say no to things and take things off your plate. For example, we are getting ready to start IVF and well, my dream of ThelmaDean (my clothing company) kind of took the back burner and as much as it sucked and broke my heart, I had to say, it’s fine – this is not the time for that and welp, I’m in the process of selling it now and guess what – I’ve never felt more relief to just have time again and to be able to breathe. DO WHAT’S BEST FOR YOU IN THIS SEASON OF LIFE.
- Get up early and get ready. I started this, actually just this year when school started up and it’s been really good for me. I just feel better about myself, more confident. Every morning, I get up and the first thing I do is get ready. Even if it’s just a 5 minute fresh face and a top knot – I got ready. It starts the day off with a little more confidence and I need that. Here’s my current favorite make up products:
What are your favorite go to self care practices?!
This post contains affiliate links.