This post may contain affiliate links.
Just really excited to share this recipe with y’all now that I feel like I’ve perfected it. Not going to lie, the first time I made it – it was a HOT mess, but now it’s a favorite in our house, especially with Marcus which I feel like is a huge win because he’s literally the world’s pickiest eater. SO let’s do this thing. A few recommendations, eat this cinnamon swirl bread warm – it’s WAY BETTER or heat it up if it’s been sitting, let the dough REALLY rise, meaning don’t rush the process. Which was a hard one for me to learn because ZERO PATIENCE. Last, but not least – both the water + milk NEED TO BE WARM, so warm them up if they’re not 😉 Finally, this recipe should make TWO small loaves, so the nutritional facts below is for the entire recipe, so split in half to make it per loaf. 😉
Anyways, let’s dive in…here’s the ingredients you’re going to need:
- 1/2 Cup WARM milk
- 1/2 Cup WARM water
- 2 TBSP Granulated Sugar
- 2 TSP Active Yeast
- 2- 2 1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 2 TBSP Vegetable oil
- 3 TBSP Melted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 TBSP Cinnamon
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- Start by adding the warm milk, water, 2 TBSP of sugar and yeast to a large mixing bowl. Lightly mix (typically I will use a spoon, not the mixer). Then let sit for 10-15 minutes until it’s “frothy” looking and you can see the yeast is activating. (See the third picture below for example):
- Once the yeast has that consistency above, add in the salt and oil, mix, then slowly add in the flour. I say 2-2 1/2 Cups of flour, but start by adding 1, then 2, then see if you need 1/2 Cup more. It should be a good doughy consistency and sticky, but not overly stick, you should be able to knead it into a ball without it falling apart.
- Leave in the mixing bowl, cover with a towel and set aside for 1-1 1/2 hours or until it’s about doubled in size. I typically will stick mine covered in the microwave (but not turn it on).
- Preheat your oven to 355 degrees, I know it sounds funny, but I’m telling you this temperature has worked well for me 😉
- Once your dough has about double in size, punch it back down and split it in half. Then roll one half out into a long rectangle. Then repeat the same to the other half.
- Next, melt your 3 TBSP of butter and in a separate mix together in a small bowl, the 1/4 Cup sugar, 3 TBSP cinnamon + 2 TBSP brown sugar!
- Take a baking brush and brush the top of each rectangle with the melted butter, then sprinkle the cinnamon, sugar mixture on the top. Don’t hold back on this part 😉 The more, the better in my opinion. Use it all! See pictures to show you how I do it, below.
- Then roll it up short side in until it’s completely rolled, see picture below. Then put into a bread baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Top will golden, that’s fine. Check inside, middle to ensure it’s been cooked all the way through. You can spread melted butter on the top to serve if you’d like or just serve without!
Nutritional Information from VeryWellFit.com:
(Please know depending on brands, etc. this can vary a little)