This post may contain affiliate links.
WELL since we are moving I figured what better time than now to share some moving hacks I have learned through the years!!
- GARBAGE BAG YOUR CLOTHES: I shared this on stories, but am putting it here again – put a garbage bag around your clothes with hangers, tie it at the top and it’s SO much easier to transport! Then at your new place you can hang them up and just cut the bags off and you’re ready to go.
- DOLLAR STORE: The dollar store can quickly become your BFF when moving. They have all the things – labels, paper plates, etc. Grab as much as possible there! Minus packing tape – I’ve learned it’s cheaper elsewhere since they’re not as big of rolls from the dollar store.
- RENT TOTES: If you have a company similar to the one here (Frogbox) rent moving boxes! They’re giant plastic boxes and they’re so much easier to pack and transport. No dealing with cardboard at the end and they stack well and don’t fall apart!
- LABEL. LABEL. LABEL.: I cannot stress this enough, literally label all the things. BUT here’s the thing – don’t label them as they are in your current house, label them for the place they will go in your new house! I personally like to use bright labels, because then they’re easier to see for the movers or whoever is moving your stuff!
- MAP THE HOUSE. Go to your new house before your stuff arrives and put signs on all the places boxes/furniture will be going. This way you’re not directing people! I also like to include a sign at the bottom of the stairs that tells them what is upstairs so they’re not wandering around! Same concept for bedrooms, etc. I also put signs on the wall where I want the dressers, beds, etc. that way I am not having to move a bunch of furniture beforehand.
- RUGS + WALLPAPER: Again, before the movers or you guys bring your stuff to your new house, go to the house and set out all the rugs + put up wallpaper if you have it beforehand. It’s MUCH easier to have those things down and up before putting furniture in the room.
- ROOM BY ROOM: Go room by room then you know it’s done, etc. So start in the room you use the least and go from there. It’s easier this way because then you can essentially “shut the door” and know it’s ready to go!
- MAKE A FIRST NIGHT BOX: Have a box (or 2 or 3) that are labeled FIRST NIGHT, that has everything in it you need to be able to make it through that first night after an exhausting day of moving. For example: bedding, PJs, paper plates, etc. Then you’re not searching everywhere for things.
- BE PACKED THE NIGHT BEFORE: Just be ready to go the night before it’s “move day” – you can thank me later. You don’t want to be running around the morning of, especially with kids. We basically just do a fun “sleepover” that night – that way the kid’s stuff is ready to go and we just have to get our bed unmade and those items packed.
- CLEAN/DECLUTTER AS YOU GO: When we move, we make several dump + donation trips and the reason why is because I don’t want to do this when moving in. Not to mention it makes our load a heck of a lot lighter when moving out. That way you move in, you’re ready to go, you unpack things and you’re not having to organize and go through it then. Also – clean as you go, for example – when I finished packing the guest bathroom, I wiped everything down so it was just done and ready!